“NLP is an attitude and a methodology that leaves behind a trail of techniques.” – Richard Bandler *
What is NLP?
N – Neuro From the Greek word Neuron – The mind and how we think
L – Linguistics From the Latin lingua or Language – The effect of language on us
P – Programming How we sequence our actions to achieve our goals
In the early 1970s, Richard Bandler and Dr John Grinder embarked on a study of human excellence which formed the foundations of NLP. Today NLP techniques and concepts are used in many areas including business, sports performance, training, coaching, therapy, and psychology. NLP can be described as the practice and understanding of how people organise their thinking, feeling, language, and behavior to produce the results they do and create the world they live in.
NLP provides the methodology to model the outstanding performances of people who have achieved excellence in their field and the ability to translate the processes used by these people into practical skills that other people can use effectively to replicate such excellence.
“The process of extracting genius from genius through a process of modeling the conscious and unconscious, leaving behind a trail of techniques.”
One of the key concepts in NLP is the concept of modeling. Modeling successful behavior provides a way of understanding and forming strategies for others to achieve success.
Basic presuppositions of NLP
- “The map is not the territory.”
- The meaning of your communication is the response you get.
- Individuals have all of the resources they need to achieve their desired outcomes.
- Every behavior is motivated by positive intention. People make the best choices they can with the resources they have available.
- All actions have a purpose
- All outcomes are achievements: There is no such thing as failure. There is only feedback
- Effective communicators accept and utilize all communication presented to them.
- If someone can do it, anyone can learn it – Modeling successful performance leads to excellence.
- The element in a system that has the most flexibility will be the catalyst of that system. (Law of Requisite Variety.)
- Respect each person’s model of the world.
“you never know how far a change can go”
No matter what you think you are, you are always more than that!
* It is very important to know that results may vary from person to person. – Legal Disclaimer